Favorite Bird Encounters

• Asia Cambodia
    • Asia India
    • Asia Indonesia
    • Asia Laos
    • Asia Malaysia
    • Asia Thailand
  • Africa

• Eastern Africa (Egypt, Tanzania, Kenya)
    • Southern Africa (Zimbabwe, Botswana, Zambia, South Africa)

North America

The Ridgeway Rail is endangered. They are easy to hear an almost impossible to see. I spend weeks going to the Martin Luther Jr. King Shoreline trying to get a glimpse of one. The were always far away and fleeting. FINALLY at a king tide I saw this one walk right by. It didn’t seem to mind me and I got some great snaps!

While hiking through the sierras on the JMT, I came across this sooty grouse whooping and calling for mate. I saw some of these. A real unique whoop whoop whoop that I felt in the chest. I stopped a while rested and drank, while it just called away not really caring about me.
I saw this red-breasted sap sucker right after a food pickup at Onion Campgrounds at the base of Kearsarge pass. It was a hard week getting there and I almost gave up. I felt rejuvinated after talking with the person I picked up food from. As I started my trip back to the JMT, I watched this sap sucker picking away until he went into a hold that was occupied by some baby Clark’s nutcrackers that quickly shooed the sapsucker away. This got me some pep in my step.
While hiking in Las Trampas, I saw this Lazuli Bunting in the hemlock. The blue stood out against the green.
Back from our trip on a foggy spring morning at 6am I saw this Raven feasting on the leg of a fawn. High in the Douglas fir trees on Inverness ridge. I was in a dark mood about our trip ending and the COVID19 surges. This almost felt like an end of times moment.

Hummingbirds only exist in the Americas. I find them amazing. Ana’s Humminbirds are very common were I live. This one was chirping up a storm on a early morning hike. Fiercely territorial they have made their way into important roles in Native American Lore.

When camping in stillwater NWR I camped next to this nesting killdeer.

A rivoli’s hummingbird in the Santa Ritas

A reddish Egret in Bolivar Flats

A limpkin in the bayou’s of Lousiana

A piping plover chick on edgartown lighthouse beach

An ovenbird in Buzzard Swamp PA

A wood thrush in Lake Erie NWR

A green heron in cayahuga valley national park

I tracked this barred owl for 15 minutes through a heavily Forrested area.  I was so proud of myself for having found it in Hazlet State Park IL.

In Quivira NWR a northern bobwhite

A dickessel in cheyenne bottoms NWR

A ptarmigen on flattop peak

Brown capped rosy finch….also on flattop mountain Rocky Mountain National Park

Bullocks Oriole Barr Lake

A rock wren in Dinosaur National Monument

Dusky Flycatcher

Williamson Sapsucker battling squirrel in hole. Yellowstone

A common nighthawk in Camas NWR  There were nearly a dozen in the trees.  I’ve never seen so many so close together!

A nice crisp shot of a sandhill crane leading me away from its nesting site in Camas NWR

A lazuli bunting….great blues amongst the yellows

A swinhoe’s white eye….not supposed to be here in Irvine.

Wilson’s Snipe in Arrowhead marsh

Semi-Palmated Plover

Sora San Joaquin NWR

Great Horned Owl – Chabot Regional Park

Pacific Wren – Neah Bay

Pigeon Guimot Neah Bay

American Dipper – Northern Cascades National Park

Red-Eyed Vireo – Barnaby Slough

Red Breasted Sapsucker – Ross Lake

Evening Grosbeak – Ross Lake

Barred Owl – Dungeness NWR

Great Blue Heron – Dungeness NWR

Bald eagle eating Mink – National Park Washing.

Harlequin Duck with chicks in Enchanted Valley, Olympic National Park

Virginia Rail +Chicks   Ridgefield NWR

Leconte’s Thrasher Afton Canyon

Black throated sparrow – Joshua Tree National Park

Central America

This three waddled bell bird is the loudest bird in the world. We heard it through the forests of Monte Verde. I think this is pretty good snap and good memory to boot!
Also in the Monteverde at Curi Concha we saw this Violet Saberwing. It one of the larger hummingbirds at nearly 5 inches. AT this feeder we saw a great many of the hummingbird species.

This resplendent quetzal we saw in the cloud forests of San Gerrado de Dota.

Not a great picture. But it was AWESOME to see an Emerald Toucanets fly up next to us while we were zip lining.

This is not a great of two Collard Aracari. However it was a special location in the shadow of Mount Arenal. This forest was rich with birdlife. I saw so many here. Moreover, we had a great time playing with the kids. I wish we could have spent more time there.

While walking around the Osa Peninsula of Costa Rica we saw this Fiery Billed Aracari. Not a great picture, but I loved watching this bird eat some papaya. It was also in a tree right above a shop where the girls got some great icecream.

Asia

China

In Chendu China, we spent a lazy afternoon at a tea house. It was very pleasant. To cap it off we sat by a bunch of photographers who would throw bread into the water to bring the fish near the top. This is where the egrets would get them.

Cambodia

The rare alexandrine parakeet congregate near one of the famous temples in Angkor Wat. In the early morning hours there were nearly 20 of the squaking and playing. I had dreamed of going to Angkor Wat every since I learned about it as a youngster. I was so glad to share the moment with my family.

The picture isn’t super great, but the moment was. I went exploring the Angkor wat ruins away from tour groups. The girls and I happened upon a small glen where a trio of Racket Tailed Drongos kept flying around us and making a …..wait for it…… a racket. It was a lot fun!

India

Peafowl are beautiful and the national bird of India. This shot isn’t spectacular, but it’s tied to a good memory of our first day in India when we walked to the Red fort….and right on top was a peafowl walking along as if to say: “Hey welcome to the Red Fort!”.
There were some beautiful parts of India, food, clothes, architecture. However in our short visit to Koleado I really enjoyed the bird density. I think this was a great shot!

In Ranthambore we spent a whole bunch of money and time trying to see tigers. We were unsuccessful which led to some of our family members to be disappointed. I wasn’t The scenery was amazing and I took one of my best bird shots ever of this Painted Stork.

A true Dr. Dolittle moment. These Rufous Trepies were all around and quite acclimated to humans feeding them. While driving through Ranthambore this particular Treepie saw me eating a snack. It landed on my shoulder looking for a handout. It stayed there for good two minutes waiting….waiting….waiting…..

Indonesia

When in the Flores Islands we stayed on an island Palu Sabuyer. I walked around the circumference of the island….which surprised the owners there as very few tourists did it in that heat. But I saw some great wildlife, including this stone billed curlew (Thick Knee Curlew). According to IUCN, there are only 4000 left on the planet and their numbers are decreasing. I was lucky to have seen one.

The girls and I went to Prambanan which was an amazing site. Ancient ruins are fantastic. However these small Javan sparrows filled the air and noisily danced about landing all over the ruins making them seem extra old and magical. They are endangered only 1000-2500 are left and their numbers decreasing.

These orange foot scrub fowl dug massive holes for nests, which the dragons would promptly appropriate.

Jordan

While hiking in Petra between rainstorms, I found myself on a secluded peak with a Bedouin. We had tea and swapped stories. This Tristram’s starling flew up and didn’t even notice me as I crept to the edge of the cliff and snapped a picture of it.

Laos

I saw this laughing thrush playing with 3 other thrushes whiling hiking up Mt. Phousi in Luang Prabang Laos. This was significant as even though the forests were so lush and dense, I saw very little wildlife. All types of animals (coucals, owls, sparrows, bees, etc) were captured and sold at market. This was a rare find even thought the picture was not that great. It represented hope that some animals survive the human onslaught.

Maldives

Most of what I was expecting to see in the Maldives was under the water. Aside from the abundance of house crows, I caught a fleeting observation of this Hoopoe. I remember seeing a picture of one on the internet years ago and thinking: “What a wonderful looking bird, it would be cool to see.” And here I got to see one. I saw more in the middle east and in Egypt.

Another interesting bird we saw in the Maldives was this Asian Koel. This bird is a parasitic nester. This is the female and the males are all black. Both have red eyes. I feel this is a pretty good snap.

Malaysia

While in a bird hide over 100 feet up in the forest canopy in Gulung Mulu, we all sat observing the rainforest from a high vantage point. Gulung Mulu National Park is one of the most bio-diverse places on earth and least developed or affected by development. The forest was so dense it was difficult to see much at eye level. We caught glimpse of Diard’s Trogen. A special find, in a special place.

One of my favorite memories of the trip was time spent on the Kinabantan River in Malaysia on the Island of Borneo. There were so many reasons this area was so special. We went on many boat safaris up and down the river. On one of them we saw this Wallace Hawk.

Again on the Kinabatan river, on a night boat safari our guide found a blue eared kingfisher that was roosting. We also saw a flat headed cat and some other amazing wildlife.

Again on the Kinabatan river while going up a tributary we cuaght a glimpse of this stork billed kingfisher. While we did see this bird elsewhere in our travels, here we saw it going up and down and flying all around us. Amazing.

Perhaps the greatest bird experience on the Kinabatan river was watching this Rhinoceros Hornbill feed its young. The conservationists in the area had made artificial nests along the river, and it just so happens that we got to see one such nest and arrived around the time this hornbill returned to feed its young. For a little over 5 minutes it feed its spouse and younglings in the nest. Wow!

A stunning snap of a blue throated bee-eater

A oriental Darter (aka Snake bird)

Nepal

While on a driving safari through Chitwan our driver spotted this Indian Scopes Owl in a tree. Amazing eyes for catching it. It’s not uncommon, but I was very happy with the photo and to share the moment with the kids.

While in Chitwan we did a walking tour. Which was to me amazing. I felt much more connected to my surroundings then in a jeep. We saw this purple heron. Tall elegant. I saw more a koleado, but this was a pleasant memory of the walking tour.

Also on the walking tour, we saw this Great Hornbill (there were three of them.) Massive in size compared to the crow on the left. These were not supposed to be here, I saw them before the guides did and the guides said that these are usually deeper in the park and not so close to people. What a treat to see on this walking tour. IUCN puts these at 13000 and declining.

A nice shot of the lesser adjutant on a dug-out boat safari down the river near Chitwan National Park.

A nice shot of the rare gray headed eagle on a dug-out boat safari down the river near Chitwan National Park.

A nice shot of the red-napped ibis on a dug-out boat safari down the river near Chitwan National Park.

I spied this red-billed blue magpie on our 20km walk from Nagarkoot to Dulikhel. Even common birds in this other land were amazing to me. It was far off so I couldn’t get a better shot.

On our 20KM hike from Nagarkoot to Dulikel with all our gear. We hiked through some amazing farmland. We happened to walk under this enormous Steppe Eagle. IUCN puts this species at 50,000 and decreasing. An amazing opportunity to see one in the wild and up close.

Thailand

Koh Sook National Park

A black and red broadbill surprised me while walking through Khao Sok National Park. It glance by in the thick dark forest at ~6-9 foot level. I took a bunch of snaps and followed it though the forest. All the photos were too dark, but this one came out. This was a great walk and a great find!

A coppery barbet. We keep hearing this repetitive machine like call but could not find where it was coming from. I finally caught a glimpse of one and soon found some other opportunities of seeing it while at the ruins.

We ventured to Doi Ithanon in Thailand. We spent a day going to various locations from top to bottom. On one place we hiked up a firelane. I caught a snap of this Red-whiskered Bubul. It’s song was delightful; the experience of hiking and exploring with my family was even better. I saw these birds in China, Vietnam, and Cambodia, but many times they were caged song-birds.

On our Doi Ithnanon Visit we stopped by a waterfall, we caught a glimpse of this Blue Whistling Thrush playing in the water. I was struck again by how colorful so many of the birds were here.
We staying in Chom Thong and I walked the backroads of this small farming community. There were so many more birds here than I expected. This green bee eaters were all over. They looked like leaves on the tree. Perhaps what I enjoyed most was walking through this neighborhood with Kylie and Alyssa.

While not a great picture, I enjoyed watching this scarlet backed flower pecker, peck at flower nectar.

In Koh Mook, I walked around the island and happened upon Zappey’s Flycatcher. A threatened species, I was lucky to see it. Although the picture isn’t great, it was a great memory of a walk around the island.

This crimson sunbird stared me down while on a walk around Koh Mook. I was especially taken by the stark black and red look.

Vietnam

After a boat ride in Trang An, I was walking around and surprised this crested serpent eagle. Up to this point I had only seen 3 or 4 types of eagles. Seeing this helped open my eyes to wide variety of eagles in the world.

Trang An was a special place for our family trip. We got a great mix of natural wonders, ancient ruins, adventure motorbiking, and some quality relaxing time together. In the early morning I walked around the rice paddies and found this Greater Coucal poking around the small trees. Not a great picture, but representative of a good time.

Africa

Southern Africa

I first saw this southern Crested Barbet in Botswana, however this particular picture was in Kruger National Park South Africa. I feel this is a great picture of a colorful bird.

Also in Kruger we saw this Purple Crested Turaco calling from high in a tree. Colorful and loud. An interesting combination.

A nice shot of a the greater double crested sunbird in Kruger National Park.

Africa may not have hummingbirds, but their sunbirds are fantastic. Like this Eastern Scarlet-chested sunbird I saw in Kruger.

This is a great shot of a black necked stork. Red bill with an iridescent black neck. Also at Kruger.

A lilac breasted roller in Chobe National Park. One of the few nice shots I have of this bird, which was all over the place.

My best shot of an African Fish Eagle. It was eating something riverside. It was more interested in eating than it was in our boat.

This is a great shot of a Southern Carmine Bee-Eater in Elephant Sands Botswana.

I’ve always loved wildlife, but never really paid too much attention to birds until this moment at the edge of the Serengeti. We stopped for lunch and this group of superb starlings. It was the first time I had seen such colorful birds.

Australia

A great shot of the common rainbow lorikeet in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Sydney.

We had a great stay in Forest Beach. Right in the yard after grilling our dinner this olive backed sunbird dropped by to hangout.

The Southern Cassowary bird is impressive! We were lucky enough to see two. This is a great shot of a Cassowary staring us down.

South America

Brazil

Awesome Rio Jardim Botanico-Green Tanager

Ariel Toucan